Whether you're pregnant, need a birth control method, have questions about menopause, or just want a checkup, we are ready to help you make informed choices about your health. We accept most insurance plans (including Medicaid and Medicare) and services are available on a sliding fee scale for those who qualify. We look forward to meeting you!
Across the life span: From your first pap test to your menopause, we meet all of your women's health care needs.
Our OB/GYN physicians provide a full range of gynecologic services, from treatment for abnormal pap smears, to hysterectomies, to sterilization surgery. Our Certified Nurse-Midwives and Nurse Practitioners specialize in health care for women.
We provide annual gynecological exams, preconception counseling, basic fertility evaluation, all methods of birth control, testing for infections, and health screening such as pap smears, mammograms, and other cancer screening.
For management of common gynecologic problems, we can provide a broad range of surgical and non-surgical treatments, depending on your individual needs.
In the perimenopause and menopause years, we offer continued health care: both natural and standard hormone replacement, osteoporosis education, nutrition and exercise information.
FamilyCare’s OB Team includes Certified Nurse-Midwives, OB/GYN Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and a Family Physician.
Throughout your pregnancy, you are treated as an equal partner in your care. Prenatal appointments allow your family to explore the emotional and physical changes that come with pregnancy and address any questions you may have.
- Pregnancy tests
- Prenatal care throughout pregnancy
- Physician and Nurse-Midwife co-management or referral to specialist care if necessary
- Care by Nurse-Midwives for healthy low risk women
- Ultrasounds and other prenatal testing
- Childbirth preparation, parenting and breastfeeding classes (check with us on availability)
- Other services include counseling in nutrition, exercise, self-care, and smoking cessation
Whether you choose to deliver your baby at our WomenCare Birth Center or at Women & Children's Hospital, our Nurse-Midwives and Physicians will help guide and support you during this very special time. Your Nurse-Midwife will be with you throughout the birth of your baby and our OB/GYN physicians are available 24 hours a day.
- WomenCare Birth Center - Personalized birthing experience with our Nurse-Midwives in a comfortable out-of-hospital setting www.birthcenters.org
- Charleston Area Medical Center - Women & Children's Hospital, the premier medical facility of the region
- Our Nurse-Midwives and Physicians provide birthing services and intensive care for mothers and babies. Go to the CAMC Women and Children's Hospital and scroll down for a video tour of the labor and delivery unit
- Pain management (from epidural anesthesia to non-drug options, such as warm water therapy and one-on-one support)
- Breastfeeding support
- Complete postpartum and newborn care
Midwife means "with woman."
Midwifery care provides a wellness and holistic approach to pregnancy, birth, and women's health care.
Today's Certified Nurse-Midwife is a registered nurse who has graduated from an accredited advanced education program. Nurse-Midwives must pass a national certification examination and meet strict requirements set by state health agencies.
Nurse-Midwives work in clinics, hospitals, birthing centers, or in women’s homes. Numerous studies have demonstrated time and again that women who are cared for by a Nurse-Midwife can expect the same level of safety as they can from a physician.
Midwives listen to women!
- Nurse-Midwives take the time to listen to you and your needs.
- Nurse-Midwives provide routine gynecologic care from your first pap test through your menopause and beyond, and can write prescriptions for medications and vitamins.
- During pregnancy, Nurse-Midwives regularly monitor the health of you and your baby.
- During labor, Nurse-Midwives evaluate your progress, offer emotional support and involve you and your family to the fullest extent possible.
- Follow up care begins immediately after birth, as Nurse-Midwives examine your baby, provide advice on breastfeeding and infant care, and ensure that you maintain your health after childbirth.
- Nurse-Midwives at FamilyCare will attend your birth at the hospital or at our Birth Center.
- Nurse-Midwives provide family-centered care.
For healthy, low risk women who want a more personalized and family-friendly birth experience, our WomenCare Birth Center is the place to have your baby, attended by FamilyCare’s Nurse-Midwives and nurses. You can invite anyone you want to the birth, walk around in labor, snack, or relax in our soothing whirlpool tub. Our professionals provide comfort and support - and time to stay with you throughout your labor and birth.
Our birth center is part of the system of high quality health care in our community. We provide a complete network of maternity and women's health services including prenatal care, laboratory and diagnostic testing, education, consultations with specialists, attentive care during labor and birth, and transfer to a hospital if the need should arise. WomenCare Birth Center care is covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicaid.
Come see for yourself by arranging a personal tour of our comfortable, home-like facility.
Consumer Reports: Top 10 Pregnancy Procedures to Reject
Midwifery & Women’s Health
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
WV Family Planning Program (available at most FamilyCare locations)
WV Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (available at most FamilyCare locations)